Saturday 13 December 2014

The Autumn Leaves and a Song Thrush

The autumn leaves are well and truly blown off the trees now. We've had so much rain and wind recently and even some snow. I remember, as a child, when I was learning to play the piano that I had to learn to play The Autumn Leaves. You can listen to Nat King Cole singing it; doesn't take long and it's really worth listening to.

I've crocheted some autumn leaves recently. I just had to when I saw the beautiful autumn Stylecraft colours. First I made some acorn leaves which I showed you here. Then I crocheted some big maple leaves. These were great fun to make! I found the pattern somewhere on the internet but can't remember where. I gave you a sneak preview of one of the leaves in this post. Not being able to stop at just one leaf, I kept crocheting until I had five. And here they are ...





The leaves are all made using Stylecraft Special DK working two strands together with a 5mm hook. This makes quite a sturdy fabric and quite a big leaf. The colours used are Spice, Lime, Copper, Gold and Claret.

On a completely different note, here's a beautiful bird I spotted a few days ago in the garden. As far as I know (and agreed by the husband) it's a song thrush.



It's lovely to have some new followers and I've really enjoyed reading all your comments. Keep them coming! I'm finding it very hard to get time to read and comment on all your lovely blogs; I'm really sorry about that. Enjoy the last days of autumn as soon enough we'll have winter upon us. Bye for now!



14 comments:

  1. Yoiur leaves are beautiful. I've seen this pattern and very interested to make them too !!! Enjoy the last autumnal days too !!! and have a lovely week end !

    http://woolandcats.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these leaves!! They are brilliant, and I really like the way that you have used the colours, very pretty indeed!! Don't worry about the blogging thing, it gets to us all at times especially at this time of year! Take care and I hope that you are having a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, those leaves are beautiful! And the yarn is amazing, knowing me I'd totally make myself a shawl in these colours... : )
    Must've been great to spot that cute song thrush, I love when I happen to see some "unusual" birds around here too.
    Have a happy weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stylecraft have some gorgeous colours for autumn projects, your leaves have turned out wonderful. I'm always thrilled when a new bird visits the garden, I leave plenty of food out to encourage them, they're so greedy at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the leaves, the colors are brilliant.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gillian! Your maple leaves are so pretty, well done for making them! :)
    Hope you are having a nice weekend!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Gillian, your leaves are just beautiful! The yarn is just so lovely I can see why you were compelled to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Gillian! The leaves are so pretty... Autumn is still here, but all of our leaves are gone :0( Evergreens are lovely this time of year though :0) mari

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely...and very effective.

    ps. Thanks for your kind words, I think you are absolutely spot on and with a stinking cold I was absolutely 'not' in the mood for Christmas. Fingers crossed I'm on the upward slope now :) N Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love your leaves and they look fantastic outside. Really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful and rich autumn color leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was fine autumn leaves, it is so nice colors that light up the autumn.
    Nice hand work, good Advent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gillian,
    May I thank you for always taking an interest in our SIBOL project.
    It's always so nice to read your comments.
    I'm pleased you've made some Blankets too.
    I love these leaves they certainly look beautiful.
    Have a very Happy Christmas and New Year.
    Love and best wishes Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those leaves are just perfect with their shaping and colours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.