Sunday 26 October 2014

Last Stop Wetheral

So we only had one night left of our holiday after visiting Yarndale. We headed to our last stopover (via Chesters for coffee!), the Crown Hotel in Wetheral. This is a lovely village in Cumbria, just a few miles from Carlisle, on the River Eden. The husband decided to go for a swim and I walked into the village to try and get something to ease my sting. After dinner the previous evening I had been stung on the left arm by, I think, a wasp. The area around the sting was gradually getting redder, swollen and more irritated. Unfortunately the village shop didn't stock anything suitable. I optimistically thought it would improve but I was wrong. Thankfully I was able to get cream and anti-allergy medication the next day (when the reaction had got even worse).
 
Back to Wetheral on the Saturday afternoon. When I came out of the village shop I decided to go for a walk as the village is very picturesque. First I walked down a steep hill and found myself at the river. This is the Wetheral Railway Viaduct.
 
 
It was really lovely but I didn't stay. Instead I started to retrace my steps back up the hill. Coming near the top I saw a sign for the Priory Gatehouse and decided to investigate. This road was more or less level and I had a lovely walk through the countryside. Before long I came across the Wetheral Parish Church called Saint Trinity. This picture is taken from the road, through the gateway. I should have taken a picture of the gateway itself but you can see it here if you want.


This is the church from the side.


Further along the road I came to the Priory Gatehouse.




 There was a stone spiral staircase up the inside of the tower.
 

I was very tempted to walk up all those steps but, according to the sign, the place was going to be closed in about five minutes time. I certainly didn't want to end up being locked in the tower! Years ago I got locked into the School of Music one Saturday morning. The following Monday was a bank holiday so the building wasn't going to be opened again until the following Tuesday. I banged the door as loudly as possible and, thankfully, the caretaker hadn't left so was able to let me out.

Sorry, I digressed there. I was still wearing my Yarndale Skirt, as you can see. It was very comfortable and easy to wear.


It was time to head back to the hotel as I reckoned the husband would have finished his swim. When I got back to our room he was already there. Doesn't sound unusual, does it? The thing was, I had the key! It turned out the he hadn't been able to get into the pool and, after waiting and waiting for me to return, had finally got the spare key from reception. Anyway, by this stage he knew he'd be able to get swimming so we both headed over to the leisure suite. I was worried about irritating my arm further with the chlorinated water so I sat at one of the poolside tables and crocheted. The wool I'd bought a few days previously at the New Lanark Mill was calling to me to be made into a bag. It's very difficult to refuse pure wool in gorgeous colours calling to be made into something useful with a crochet hook! I gave in and made Fudge squares from my 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans book. Each square is made using five colours so I changed the order of the colours so no two of the five squares I needed were the same.



All the squares are crocheted and blocked now but I still need to join them to make into a bag. Then line it as well. The reason I'm hesitating with finishing is that I can't make up my mind about the handles. When I get there, I'll let you see it.

Well that was the end of our holiday and we sailed home again the following day. Planning has started for next year's holiday!

All the best for now. I should be able to show you some of my finished projects soon. I'm looking forward to it.

20 comments:

  1. What a fabulous trip you had and really made the most of the time. Cant wait to see your new bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good holiday with fun had by all! I'm dead keen to see what you do with the bag. You could try leather straps for handles, to add that extra textural dimension? Even a re-purposed belt if there's no cash for ebay....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of leather handles - just need to find the right ones. None of the craft shops near me have anything suitable so I'll have to resort to the internet. Or possibly find an old bag I could take the handles from.

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful holiday you had. I like to visit a variety of places like you've done on this holiday, all the more interesting. Glad you got your arm sorted out that sounds nasty, you never know what kind of reaction you'll have to a bite or a sting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos, somewhere to put on my must visit list when we go back to the Lakes! Your crochet colours are gorgeous, very soft and rich.
    Wishing you a happy week ahead.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both made the most out of your holiday, visiting some breathe taking places. I can't wait to see the finished bag. I think the colours work so well. Everytime you look at these colours it will remind you of this trip. Have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful holiday, indeed. (With the exception of the sting...which I hope is all better now.) I do love the shot of the spiral stairs and your new crocheted squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks, the sting finally cleared up.

      Delete
  7. BeAutiful pictures, what a great trip! I love all the lovely old buildings and serene landscapes. We have a lot of mountains trees and lakes here which are nice . But. I find the history of the areas you visited very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures Gillian, glad you decided not to walk up the tower! especially with your previous experience, just a mild panic moment there!.
    Looking forward to your bag reveal.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gillian! I absolutely adore your crochet squares in the making!!! The colours are fantastic, they complement each other perfectly!!!! I can't wait to see more about this project, how about some inbetween stage photos!!! (I don't want to wait until it's all done, I also wanna see how it is done!!!) I just want my crochet fix!!! ;)
    Your photos from the trip are lovely and your tale made me smile! Sorry to hear about the nasty wasp sting! If it is any consolation, Belgium or more precisely, our appartment is a magnet for mosquitos and I just had to battle with 2 of them this evening as soon as I started reading blogs! They keep stinging me all the time, it's not funny!!! :( Of course wasp stings are way nastier!
    Have a nice week!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there are mosquitoes in Belgium!! That's a pain getting stung by them. The squares for my bag are finished and blocked. Now I need to line it and make or buy handles. I have fabric for the lining just need to stop crocheting for long enough to sew the lining!

      Delete
  10. Just found your blog, Gillian, and I really enjoyed your photos. The wool you've chosen for your bag is beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I would never have thought to use leather handles on crochet but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love beautiful green shades and your crochet works, it looks toasty and cozy!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow so nice pictures, here was the stone on stone.
    Delicious hand work with lots of color, we need now in the fall.
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colours in your squares. I have that book too - isn't it one of the most useful? Love the mixture of designs and it is well organised. I look forward to seeing your finished bag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gillian, thank you for leaving a comment on my blog it has really encouraged me :)
    I keep meaning to learn how to crochet, it looks absorbing and hence calming x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crochet is easy enough to learn and is definitely calming - therapeutic even. I run a class to teach crochet and everyone comes saying they'll never be able to do it and after a couple of cleasses they are crocheting like they've been doing it for years.

      Delete
  15. Hello again Gillian - Just wanted to let you know that if you can't find leather handles, I found a company that makes them when I was at the wool show in Rhinebeck NY. www.bittersweetbasketsandsupply.com. They're in Missouri but I'm sure they'd ship to you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.