Tuesday 3 November 2015

Avoca

First of all I would like to thank you all for your congratulations to my cousin. I enjoyed reading all your lovely comments.

Following on from our first camping trip in many years, we decided to do it all again at the end of September.  This time we planned to spend two nights at the River Valley campsite in County Wicklow. We drove down to the campsite on the last Friday in September and set up camp. Actually, after we were home again, we discovered that we put the tent up in the wrong part of the campsite! This is a really nice place to stay so we'll go back again some time.


We were so fortunate again with the weather. It stayed dry and reasonably warm for the time of year. On the way down we stopped at the Avoca shop in Kilmacanogue. We love visiting this shop and especially the Sugar Tree Cafe.

On the Saturday we took ourselves out to have a look round County Wicklow. We did the scenic drive, taking in Sally Gap in the Wicklow Mountains. We were really impressed with the beautiful scenery.

We stopped at this ruin of Baltinglass Abbey to have lunch.





When we were almost back at the campsite we headed to Avoca village where the original Avoca Mill is still operating. We really enjoyed looking round the mill and even seeing someone weaving on one of the old looms.




There was lots of wool in the store in so many beautiful colours.


These examples of the different fibres they use allowed us to feel what they are like.


As this sign says, there's only one Avoca Mill!


Of course they also have a cafe here and we just had to go in and have coffee and something sweet to eat. We also visited the shop (again!) and I tried on the poncho I liked just to get an idea of how it was shaped. It will help me when I come to do the shaping on the poncho I'm crocheting.

I seem to be so far behind on my blogging. I have some garden photos to show you but by the time I do they will be very out of date. The thing about growing your own fruit and vegetables is that you then have to harvest them and store them, which usually involves at least some sort of preservation techniques. And it all takes time!

I'm really enjoying the fantastic autumn we're having. It has already made up for the disappointing summer! All the best for now.

14 comments:

  1. I've heard of the Avoca shop before, it sounds really good. I do wish my hubby would go camping, my dad wouldn't take us when we were kids and I married a man who won't go either, but it sounds like a great way to see the country and to connect with nature too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going camping lets us get away for short breaks without it costing a lot.

      Delete
  2. Yes, going camping is great, we love it, too. That looks like a wonderful time you've spend there with all those beautiful wool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a place that I seem to have missed on my many visits to Wicklow. I must keep it in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mill is beautiful, all types of yarn and the difference colours. You are so lucky, I love going camping, unfortunately I can't do it any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you can't go camping any more.

      Delete
  5. It is a shame our camping season is on hold until May. Avoca Mill looks like somewhere I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. We've got our new tent and can't get trying it out.

      Delete
  6. oh the colours of that yarn. gorgeous xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip, Gillian. Camping and yarn and something sweet, what more can you want?
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Gillian,
    Very nice pictures. This looks great.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely trip you had. Have a Nice week end

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I wish I could see this shop in person! It looks wonderful!!

    Take care
    Anne
    Crochet Between Worlds

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I'd love to look around that shop and mill! I love their products.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.