Tuesday 10 November 2015

Autumn/Winter Projects Update

I'm really enjoying crocheting this poncho.  I just love making the cables. Every time I come to the end of a row I can't put it down and have to do another row to see how it looks.

These pictures aren't showing the colour very well. The middle one is the best of the three.




My main problem with getting the poncho done is trying to unravel the coat that I had originally knit with the yarn. Well, it's not really the unravelling that's so hard but unpicking the seams before I can even start to unravel. The one good thing is that I don't think I'll need all the yarn from the coat to finish the poncho.

Anyway, at some point I wasn't getting too far with the seam-unpicking and knitting-unravelling so I started the Star Fruit Rug from my Boho Crochet book. I didn't use the yarn suggested in the pattern but substituted Drops Paris cotton instead.


The colours I used were as close as I could get to those used in the original design. My colours were red, orange, mustard, moss green, green, dark turquoise, denim blue, raspberry, petrol and dark purple. The Drops Paris yarn, which is Aran weight, is horrible to work with; it splits constantly. But I'm happy with the finished rug!


I like to have something to work on in the car too. This lap blanket was started using three 100g balls of chunky acrylic that I had in my stash. The black and the sort of grey looking one were Stylecraft but I'm not sure about the green yarn. I ended up buying another two 100g balls of Rico chunky to finish the blanket.


This one is going to the Rathfriland Manor Nursing Home where I think it would be suitable for an elderly gentleman to use.


It is certainly a very warm blanket, as I know from having it across my knees when I was making it.

Thanks for all your comments, as usual. I'm joining with Jennifer and her Winter Project Link Party.

21 comments:

  1. Fabulous makes Gillian, I thought your poncho was knitted at first what a lovely pattern, I know what you mean about unpicking the seams it seems to take forever. I love the star fruit rug what beautiful colours. The blanket does look lovely and warm I'm sure it will be very well received. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo from Germany....I like your poncho....where can I find the pattern? Never I saw this kind of crochet.
    LG Smilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern for how to do the cable part is from a jumper pattern in an Inside Crochet magazine. I'm just making up the pattern for the poncho as I go along. Maybe when it's finished I'll do a post about it.

      Delete
  3. Those cables are gorgeous, and I'm blown away by the colorful afghan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gillian,
    Very nice creations. That must be a lot of work.
    The poncho is very nice with the cheerful colors.
    You must have working hard for this nice result. Wonderful!!

    Kind regards,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello gillian,
    just beautiful!!! love the pattern of the poncho,it looks fantastic.
    have a nice week,
    hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fantastic making! Your cables are incredible!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gillian, thank you for joining in with my link party! I loved seeing your projects. I've never tried crochet with cables, it looks so interesting. It would be a very new technique for me and I really should give it a shot. I love your star fruit blanket. Wow! That is just beautiful and so delicate. The rug you're giving to the home is very nice and will be much appreciated. Thanks again, I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your star fruit rug a lot!!
    And also the poncho looks great!
    Very recognisable how you can't put it aside :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous projects, Gillian! My, you have been busy.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what so very pretty pieces ! They're really beautiful and well done !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the colours of your rug are amazing! It comes as a revelation to me that you can crochet cables. I have only ever tried simple stitches, like sc or dc.... have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all your makes are fabulous, I love the cable pattern on your poncho and the colours you've used in your blanket. What a lovely idea donating a lap blanket for an elderly gentleman to use, I'm sure that will be very much appreciated now that winter's on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful makes, Gillian! Especially like the crochet cable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poncho is looking fabulous, Gillian! And the rug is just gorgeous! someone will be very happy to receive your cosy lap blanket! And I'm sure it will be much enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowsers on the star fruit rug. I pinned it to my crochet bard straight away, it is fabulous. I have a jumper I want to do with the same cable and popcorn on but it is on a american pattern and I can't be bothered with the translation - lazy I know. Jo
    https://joeveryday19@blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love crochet cables too, they're so much fun, aren't they? The poncho looks great already, I'm really curious to see it finished, though I know it'll take a while... ; ) Oh, and let me tell you, that rug looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh Gillian what fabulous makes. Your stitch work of your poncho is stunning , looks amazing .I agree about the drops yarn ,I bought some myself and for once in my life I threw it away, beautiful colour choice. you certainly are busy. hope you are well
    Helda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Admiring those cables Gillian, your poncho is going to be stunning and I can't wait to see it. The star fruit rug is beautiful too, I love the colours. Thanks for the tip on the yarn. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Gillian,
    Just been enjoying your latest posts! I love your projects, that poncho will surely be amazing!!! I've never tried any sort of cables, I must admit!

    The crochet rug in rainbow colours is very striking and right up my street, hehe!!! I love it!!!
    And what a good idea to make a lapghan, great colours!!

    It's lovely to see the fruit of hard labour such as this!!!
    Enjoy the cosiness of winter evenings with your crochet!!!
    Ingrid xx
    Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gillian,
    the crochet rug is amazing, I really love the colour combination. I have used Drops Paris, as well, once. I wanted to make a blanket but it is still lying somewhere in a basket. It is such a nightmare to work with it. Congratulations that you finished it! Viola

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this and I read them all. I will try to reply as soon as possible to any comment that needs a reply.